Thursday, September 3, 2009

Home Improvement Stores

Isn't the weather outside just gorgeous!!! I love the first hint of fall. It makes me want to sit outside on my front porch and read a book. When we purchased our house in May of last year we had no way to fill up all the space on our oversized front porch. But instead of running out and buying new stuff right away, I went and picked out what I wanted...and waited.

I have found, like many of you I'm sure, that patience can save you some serious cash. I knew that our porch was crying out for a swing. I searched all over the internet at all different kinds of sites, and decided that a simple swing was best for us. The swing I liked, for appearance and price, was located at several places. One of the chain home improvement stores was one of them. So, I went to the store and checked it out...and waited. We already make frequent trips to these stores since we are slightly addicted to home improvement. So as the end of summer approached I would check out the price. Waiting on it to go on clearance. I think everyone knows that seasonal items go on clearance, but knowing when to look is key. I usually won't buy on an items first markdown, unless it's 75% off. When the item starts being marked down, I do a couple of things. First, I see how many of the item that the store has on the shelves. Usually if they're clearance they put everything they have out. Then I'll check out their website, if they have one. By doing so, you can search other nearby stores for their stock and price. Then I'll wait until I think they're going to sell out or until they post another markdown.

By using this method, I saved 67% on a 4ft. white porch swing. With this particular purchase I found the item at a nearby towns store and purchased online. Then my husband went by and picked it up a few days later when he was in that area for work.

And if you have a coupon for the store that just makes the savings even greater. You just need to ask if they will take it on clearance items. I know that Lowe's will take 10% off coupons if the item rings up at the sale price. If you negotiate a price and the cashier has to manually override a price, then a coupon can not be used. But that's another day.

So does anyone out there have any tips for saving money at home improvement stores? I have more money saving stories and tips for the best day to shop for clearance markdowns and how to get those 10% coupons whenever you want. So come back and read more and share your own stories and tips.

1 comment:

  1. Some excellent ideas here out regarding home improment I don’t have a news blog as such but there are some great tips that I plan to use.
    Home Repair NJ

    ReplyDelete