Sunday, September 6, 2009

Home Improvement Cont.

Well last time I wrote it was about saving $ on home improvement projects. As an example, I shared about our porch swing. Well this year I found more outdoor furniture for our porch. And again I waited. I found a small table and chairs that I thought would be just so cute....but the only problem was the price. It would have cost about $300 to buy what I wanted. So again I waited until the store was closing out their summer seasonal items. At first they marked down all their outdoor furniture 50%, but they had tons of them on the shelves. So I checked in a couple times a week to keep tabs on how many they still had in stock.

I knew they would mark them down again, it was just a matter of time. I have found that Tuesdays are mark down days for Lowe's (at least the ones here around Augusta).

You can ask at your local store if they have a set day. Sure enough 2 weeks after they were marked to 50% they were marked down again to 75% off. I was so excited!!!! One employee even told me that Tuesday morning that I knew "how to play the game."

I got the table and 2 chairs for about $72. But that's not the end of the savings because I also had a 10% off coupon in my purse. (I try to keep my coupons with me at all time). You can do the math, I ended up paying about $65 for everything.

In the time I spent waiting on the sale, I had time to save for the purchase too. Since it's not a necessity in our house it may have not have gotten purchased had I not planned ahead.

If you have a favorite store that offers coupons, check ebay. Now it's not legal to sell coupons, but you can pay someone for their time and effort and postage to find coupons you need. I think the last time I purchased ones for Lowe's I spent $1.50 for 5. So as long as I spent at least $15 they paid for themselves. And I'll just tell you right now, I saved a lot more than that. In fact, I even gave one to my hair dresser and you would have thought she won the lottery!!!

If you have any good stories on how you save money post them, I would love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment