Friday, September 11, 2009

Cheapo Dessert Idea

Ok, so I have to admit I'm no Betty Crocker. I have even burned green beans on a couple of occasions. I'm still not sure how I manage to do that. But a friend of mine sent me this recipe for a cheap alternative to cheesecake. This is what I want this blog to be about, everyone sharing their tricks. Anyway, I pasted the recipe from her email.


cheapo dessert idea.... cheesecake pie. cheesecakes are expensive in the grocery store and this is a great alternative. i don't know if you have an aldi in augusta, but we do in greenwood. this recipe came from an aldi pie shell brand "baker's corner." i can make this for less than $3 because usually, all i have to buy is the pie shell and the cream cheese. most of the other ingredients most people have on hand as standard ingredients (eggs, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, salt). hey - i even left out the lemon juice several times....

1 - 9 inch Graham Cracker Pie Crust
1 - 8oz cream cheese softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp vanilla
dash of salt
2 eggs
Topping (recipe follows) (I typically leave the topping off. it isnt that good and require an extra ingredient).
Fresh fruit or fruit topping optional

Preheat oven to 325%. in a bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt. mix until well blended. add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. place crust on a baking sheet and pour in pie filling. bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean.

topping: combine 1 cup cour cream, 2 tbsp sugar, and 1/4 tsp vanilla. carefully spread over pie. continue baking 10 minutes; cool. chill 3 hours. top with fresh fruit or canned fruit filling.

prep time: 10 minutes baking time: 35-40 minutes (with topping) chilling time: 3 hours


I may just have to try this one myself. I do love some cheesecake. I hope others follow suit. If you don't have an Aldi nearby, or another discount grocery, that's when you just wait until you see the items go on sale at your local grocery. They are BOGO frequently around holidays.

If you have any other quick and easy recipes that are light on the pocketbook I'm sure we'd all like to see them. Happy blogging!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment